Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A way through the Mire: Understanding Cultures and Immigrants

The United States is a multinational multitude of people, places, and things. It is no surprise to see the variety of people in the US and similar countries to it. It is interesting to note, however, that almost every country in the world (minus a few of the most remote and isolated) has cultural diversity. Korea, Russia, China, Australia, Canada, France, Mexico... it's hard to make a way through the mire of culture nowadays! Who's who, and where are they from??

As this blog begins to explore world history, I would like everyone to initially comment on where their family is from and how they came to be where they are now. I'll start...

My father is 100% German. They are so German, that I still have cousins living in Germany! My mother's side is different. Her father (my maternal grandfather) is 100% German, but my maternal grandmother is only 50% German. Her other 50% is mainly Irish (40%) but with a hodgepodge of Swiss, English, Romanian, and several other smaller Eastern European countries.

My father's grandfather immigrated to the United States near the beginning of the 20th century for unknown reasons. My mother's grandparent's moved to the United States shortly after the potato famine at the end of 19th century. My grandmother, however, ferverently claims that the famine was not the reason for the move.

See? That's not too hard! Add a funny back history story about family if you want, because really history is nothing more than his (or her) story.

Make good choices!!

3 comments:

  1. My Mom's side is mostly polish, but with a little norwegian thrown in for good measure. My Dad's side is a mix between german and french.

    A story (not so funny) is that my Great Grandfather (the french one) came to this country on the boat that picked up Titanic survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty interesting John! Part of history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about my family history. All I know is that my father's family comes from Norway, and my mother's from Germany. I wish I knew more about them, or had some exciting stories to share...but I don't.... :(

    ReplyDelete